The 2023 ASTRO Annual Meeting – the leading meeting in radiation oncology – will be held October 1-4 at the San Diego Convention Center. Led by ASTRO President Jeff Michalski, MD, MBA, FASTRO, the meeting is organized around the theme, “Pay it Forward: Partnering with Our Patients.” New results from clinical trials and other research studies will be presented in conjunction with educational panels, keynote addresses and other special sessions. For more information, view our media advisory about the meeting or visit the Annual Meeting portal.
ASTRO news briefings will highlight top-rated abstracts at the Annual Meeting. Briefings will be held in room 26 of the San Diego Convention Center, with live webcasts for off-site reporters.
Monday, October 2, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Pacific time (2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Eastern time)
- LBA 02: “Randomized controlled trial of hypofractionated vs. normo-fractionated accelerated radiation therapy with or without cisplatin for locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HYPNO),” presented by Søren Bentzen, PhD, DMSc, FASTRO, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- LBA 05: “Patient-reported and toxicity results from the FABREC study: A multicenter randomized trial of hypofractionated vs. conventionally fractionated postmastectomy radiation therapy after implant-based reconstruction,” presented by Rinaa Punglia, MD, MPH, Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center
- Abstract 4: “Association between regular vaginal dilation and/or sexual activity and long-term vaginal morbidity in cervical cancer survivors,” presented by Kathrin Kirchheiner, PhD, Medical University of Vienna
- Abstract 105: “Clinical validation of HPV ctDNA for early detection of residual disease following chemoradiation in cervical cancer,” presented by Kathy Han, MD, Princess Margaret Cancer Center
- Abstract 122: “A precision medicine navigator can mitigate inequities associated with utilization of genomic tests in Black men with prostate cancer,” presented by Alexander Allen, MD, University of Maryland Medical Center
Tuesday, October 3, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. Pacific time (12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Eastern time)
- Moderator: Howard M. Sandler, MD, FASTRO, ASTRO President-elect
- Register to attend this briefing here.
- LBA 03: “5-year outcomes from PACE B: An international phase III randomized controlled trial comparing stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) vs. conventionally fractionated or moderately hypofractionated external beam radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer,” presented by Nicholas van As, MD, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
- LBA 14: “Diagnostic CT-enabled radiation therapy (DART): Results of a randomized trial for palliative radiation therapy,” presented by Melissa O'Neil, MRT(T), MSc, London Regional Cancer Program
- Abstract 1: “High dose hyperfractionated thoracic radiotherapy vs. standard dose for limited stage small-cell lung cancer: A multicenter, open-label randomized, phase 3 trial,” presented by Jiayi Yu, PhD, Peking University Cancer Hospital & Institute
- Abstract 5: “TROG 15.03/ANZUP international multicenter phase II trial of focal ablative stereotactic radiotherapy for cancers of the kidney (FASTRACK II),” presented by Shankar Siva, PhD, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Abstract 149: “Circulating tumor DNA for early risk stratiﬁcation of oligometastatic lung cancer,” presented by Aadel Chaudhuri, MD, PhD, Washington University in St. Louis
- Moderator: Neha Vapiwala, MD, FASTRO, ASTRO Secretary/Treasurer
- Register to attend this briefing here.
ASTRO provides complimentary meeting registration to credentialed news professionals representing media organizations for the express purpose of gathering news and information to produce editorial coverage of the ASTRO Annual Meeting. Read more about eligibility for press registration here.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to process registrations submitted after September 30.
Embargo Policy and Access to Abstracts
All abstracts to be presented at the ASTRO Annual Meeting are embargoed until 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, September 29, 2023. For more details, view the full embargo policy here. Contact ASTRO's media relations team with questions about the embargo policy or for press access to embargoed materials.
Abstracts will be available online in the Online Conference Planner and MyASTROApp when the embargo lifts. Abstracts also will be published in the International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics (Red Journal) at that time.
Virtual Press Rooms
ASTRO provides virtual press rooms for institutions presenting research at the meeting and ASTRO Corporate Members. Reporters are encouraged to visit these pages for story ideas via the links below. Submission guidelines are available for Corporate Members and presenting institutions.
For More Information
For media-related questions and interview requests, email ASTRO’s media relations team or call 703-286-1600. We also will host an on-site press office in room 25 B/C of the San Diego Convention Center during meeting hours.
For the latest updates, follow ASTRO on social media.
For general information about radiation therapy, visit RTAnswers.org.
For meeting information, visit the ASTRO 2023 microsite.