The application period for the 2022-2024 Leadership Pipeline Program will open in July 2022.
What is the Leadership Pipeline Program and who can apply?
The ASTRO Leadership Pipeline Program (formerly known as the Pipeline Protégé Program) is a career development program aimed at increasing diversity among ASTRO leadership, which supports ASTRO's core value of diversity and inclusion.
Ultimately, the two-year program is designed to develop the next generation of ASTRO leaders and the three selected leaders will receive a $1,000 stipend each year to support their attendance at the ASTRO Annual Meeting where they will report out on their experiences.
Below are the qualifications to apply:
- Must be an ASTRO member.
- Must be a board-certified radiation oncologist or medical physicist.
- Must have at least three years of practice experience (not including residency).
- Must have a demonstrated interest in diversity, inclusion, health equity and/or disparities.
- Must have strong interpersonal and presentation skills along with the ability to work collaboratively.
- Must have the ability and support to commit significant time to attend meetings and conference calls.
- This program is not exclusive to underrepresented minorities or women. Anyone with an interest in health equity, diversity and inclusion is eligible to apply.
The program is spearheaded by ASTRO’s Committee on Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (CHEDI), which has a mission to advance the status of minorities and the underserved in oncology through educational and professional opportunities, advocacy and awareness.
ASTRO’s Council Structure is organized around five key areas: health policy advocacy (CPT code development and valuation), government relations advocacy (lobbying Congress & federal agencies), clinical affairs and quality (guidelines, incident reporting, practice accreditation), education (Annual Meeting, small meetings, online learning), and scientific affairs (research grants, mentorship/career development). View ASTRO's leadership structure.
View the overview infographic.
- Dive into ASTRO
- Learn about ASTRO's structure and start building your network.
- Join a committee and start working on a project.
- Receive access to ASTRO leadership.
- Year 1 Deliverables
- Your completion of or contribution to a project is one measure of success.
- You will present to other protégés, ASTRO committee and council leadership, and ASTRO staff about your experience.
- Dive Deeper
- Continue working on a committee project.
- Be part of the selection committee for the next cohort of protégés.
- Act as a liaison for an assigned Year 1 protégé.
- Submit an educational session to the ASTRO Annual Meeting.
- Complete video diaries about your experience and share online.
- Year 2 Deliverables
- You will write an informational report and verbally present at an ASTRO Board meeting.
- Your completion of or contribution to a project as well as athe completion of video diaries will be noted.
- Lead quarterly calls where Year 1 and Year 2 protégés check in with each other.
Beyond the Leadership Pipeline Program: What's Next?
Now it's time to pay it forward.
- Remain involved on ASTRO committees and/or task forces as a dedicated volunteer.
- Help others understand more about ASTRO's structure, leadership pipeline and how to get involved at any level.
If you have questions about the Leadership Pipeline Program, please email Kirsta Suggs