ASTRO is dedicated to patient safety and offers industry the ability to partner in this critical area.
Align with ASTRO on this patient safety initiative that is the first of its kind. RO-ILS collects data about errors and near misses nationally in a protected environment and develops education for users and the community. The mission of RO-ILS is to facilitate safer and higher quality care in radiation oncology by providing a mechanism for shared learning in a secure and non-punitive environment. RO-ILS strengthens the field of radiation oncology, improves patient care and saves lives.
RO-ILS continues to surpass its goals and is proud of its accomplishments and successes:
- Currently, there are more than 650 facilities enrolled in the program, representing approximately 27% of the all U.S. facilities.
- According to results from the 2018 ASTRO membership survey, nine out of ten RO-ILS participants find the program valuable.
- Through a partnership with a patient safety organization (PSO), the RO-ILS data is legally protected from discovery as specified by the federal Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act.
- Since RO-ILS began in 2014, more than 21,000 cumulative safety events of varying severity were reported to the PSO. This is encouraging as a large number of events is a positive indicator of safety culture, vigilance and learning opportunities.
- RO-ILS has released countless educational resources (e.g., reports, case studies, manuscripts) to the radiation oncology community to promote learning and error mitigation.
- We have been able to maintain the program at no cost to participants, allowing large academic centers and small community practices to join a diverse network of RO-ILS users from across the country.
ASTRO and RO-ILS cannot do this without our supporters. By becoming a RO-ILS supporter, you are facilitating safer clinical practice, will be recognized as a quality and safety leader, and will make a difference for patient care. Other benefits* may include:
- Annual recognition in ASTROnews Safety Honor Role
- Logo/name on all collateral and promotional materials (brochures, reports, website)
- Ongoing recognition on the ASTRO website and ad space
- Vendor-specific webinar(s)
- Vendor-specific targeted educational resource
- RO-ILS education updates
- Press release for new supporters
- Priority points toward Annual Meeting booth selection
- Other Annual Meeting benefits including exhibit hall guest passes and varied on-site recognition
*Please note, not all benefits apply to all levels. See response form for applicable benefits.
For a detailed list of supporter benefits, or to align your company with ASTRO on this important initiative, please review the RO-ILS Response Form.
Commit and better the future of radiation oncology today!