The 2020 Multidisciplinary Head and Neck Cancers Symposium was held February 27-29 in Scottsdale, Arizona. This two-and-a-half-day meeting for the entire head and neck cancer community provided the most up-to-date information on multidisciplinary therapies, clinical research, treatment strategies, supportive care, scientific breakthroughs and toxicity mitigation.
The meeting was cosponsored by the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO), the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the American Head and Neck Society (AHNS) and the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC).
For more information, visit the symposium website and schedule of events. Abstracts from the meeting are available online and published in the April 2020 issue of the International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics (www.redjournal.org).
Pre-operative immunotherapy triggers encouraging response in oral cancers
- Abstract 1: Neoadjuvant Nivolumab +/- Ipilimumab in Patients with Oral Cavity Cancer; presented by Dr. Jonathan D. Schoenfeld, Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
Radiation/immunotherapy combination shows promise for recurrent/metastatic HNSCC
- Abstract LBA1: Progression-free survival, overall survival and immunophenotyping outcomes for patients with stage III-IV head and neck cancer and cisplatin contraindication treated with definitive radiotherapy plus pembrolizumab; presented by Dr. Jared Weiss, University of North Carolina
Drug used for breast, kidney cancers may also extend survival for patients with advanced head and neck cancer
- Abstract 5: Multi-Institutional Randomized Double-Blind Phase II Trial of Everolimus vs. Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in Patients with Locally Advanced Squamous Cell Cancer of the Head and Neck; presented by Dr. Cherie-Ann O. Nathan, Louisiana State University Health Shreveport
All media-related questions about the press program and expert availability may be directed to ASTRO’s media relations team.
News Planning Team
Volunteers from the symposium leadership select abstracts for inclusion on the press program. Members of the 2020 Multidisciplinary Head and Neck Cancers Symposium News Planning Team include:
- Brian O'Sullivan, MD, FASTRO, Princess Margaret Hospital
- Charu Aggarwal, MD, MPH, University of Pennsylvania
- Francis P. Worden, MD, University of Michigan Health System
- Maie St. John, MD, PhD, UCLA Medical Center
- Robert L. Ferris, MD, PhD, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Sue Yom, MD, PhD, University of California, San Francisco
For COI disclosures, contact ASTRO's media relations team.