At ASTRO, the safety of our members and the patients they serve is of utmost importance. In light of the public health emergency related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), ASTRO has compiled the following health resources, including guidance to keep medical facilities and patients safe.
We continue to monitor developments related to COVID-19. Please bookmark this page for regular updates. (Last updated 3/24/20.)
Updates on ASTRO Activities
Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the in-person meetings and events listed below have been cancelled or changed to virtual meetings:
- The ASTRO Annual Refresher Course (March 20-22) in-person meeting was cancelled and was held as a virtual interactive conference.
- The SCAROP Annual Meeting scheduled for April 19 in Washington, DC, has been cancelled, and alternative dates and formats are under consideration.
- ASTRO Advocacy Day scheduled for April 20-21 in Washington, DC, has been cancelled. We are working to schedule virtual meetings with Congressional offices for a later date.
- The ASTRO AI Research Workshop scheduled for June 4-5 in Washington, DC, has been cancelled. We anticipate rescheduling this workshop for the summer of 2021.
- All APEx facility visits for accreditation scheduled through May 15, 2020, have been postponed.
Information for Medical Professionals
COVID-19 Recommendations to Radiation Oncology Practices
Guidance from ASTRO leadership on best practices for radiation therapy during the coronavirus outbreak, including answers to frequently asked questions, such as how to disinfect a clinic, a sample letter for practice closure due to COVID-19, and a summary of the recommendations for general clinical issues, disease screening and patient scheduling.
Research and commentary on COVID-19 recently published in ASTRO journals (free access).
Additional resources for providers
Report from COVID-19 Ground Zero by Dr. Ramesh Rengan and Dr. Eric Ford of the University of Washington in Seattle
Information for Patients and Caregivers
Patient information from ASTRO on emergency preparation and treatment interruptions
Common questions and answers for patients and survivors from ASCO and NCCS
Cancer Care Ontario
Pandemic Planning Clinical Guideline for Patients with Cancer
ASTRO Advocacy Updates
ASTRO Blog post on advocacy efforts to support members during the coronavirus crisis.
Recent news (see What's Happening in Washington for more)