ASTRO understands the importance of networking at its meetings. While we all may not be meeting in person this year, we are eager to provide you with ample virtual opportunities to network and connect with your colleagues during the 2020 ASTRO Annual Meeting. The virtual conference provides multiple chat features – both public chats and one-on-one chats – as the main connection point for networking with other attendees, colleagues, exhibitors, faculty and ASTRO staff. Chats can be translated into six languages (French, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese and Korean)
Please Note: All attendees will be required to follow ASTRO’s Virtual Event Standards of Behavior
ASTRO Virtual Happy Hour
October 26, 2020 | 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Just because we can't meet in person doesn't mean we can't network and enjoy our time together. Make plans to join us for our “Virtual Happy Hour” where you will have the opportunity to connect with your peers, network with industry, show your competitive side, learn and explore new things, but – most importantly – just have fun!
Here is a glimpse of what you can expect during this exciting hour:
Gather your colleagues and come join the ASTRO version of the hit game show Jeopardy – Gray Pardy! There will be five RadOnc themed categories and five questions in each category. Participants will join a team to compete against each other. The game will be hosted by a RadOnc colleague, “Alexa” Trebek!
Join us for an hour of fun during the ASTRO Pub Trivia happy hour! Grab your favorite bubbly beverage to join us in a battle for who has the greatest knowledge of trivia!
What can be better than taking a trip through some of the world’s greatest collections in these virtual museum and gallery tours from the comfort of your home?
Options will include:
- The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, located in Washington, DC, features a narrated tour that houses a collection of 145 million specimens and artifacts. Each one reflects a moment in space and time. Virtually stroll about and learn what their researchers continue to glean from these objects. These discoveries about the past help us model and anticipate the future.
- Explore the Guggenheim, Bilbao and its extensive collection of modern art through this interactive tour. Some of the more notable artworks include “Untitled” by Mark Rothko and “Nine Discourses On Commodus” by Cy Twombly. Its most iconic piece, “Maman” by Louise Bourgeois, stands just outside the museum.
- The Vatican Museum is aptly called “the Museum of Museums". The museum not only houses extensive collections of art, archaeology and ethno-anthropology gathered by the Popes over the centuries, but also contains some of the Apostolic Palace’s most extraordinary and artistically significant rooms.
- The Musée d’Orsay is located in the center of Paris on the banks of the Seine and opposite the Tuileries Gardens. The museum was installed in the former Orsay railway station, originally built for the Universal Exhibition of 1900. The building itself could be considered the first "work of art" in the Musee d'Orsay, which displays collections of art from the period of 1848 - 1914.
Turn your living room into a tasting room with our Virtual Vineyard. Sit back and relax from the comfort of your home while our wine experts at Barboursville Vineyards guide you, your friends and family through a fun and interactive tasting. Have some delicious wine delivered to your door in advance by using our discount code and follow along with the sommelier!
Vermentino Reserve 2018: Original Price - $22.99; ASTRO Discounted Price - $20.69
Allegrante Rose’ 2019: Original Price - $19.99; ASTRO Discounted Price - $18.00
Cabernet Franc Reserve 2018: Original Price - $24.99; ASTRO Discounted Price - $22.50
To purchase the wines directly from the vineyard, visit https://www.bbvwine.com/wine-shop
. At checkout, enter the code ASTRO TASTING
in the gift message. The vineyard staff will recognize this message and issue a refund corresponding to the discount.
And, if you haven’t had the chance to visit the Exhibit Hall, we encourage you take time to connect with your industry colleagues to learn about the latest products and service in cancer treatment and care.
Any attendee can also easily network through a private chat. Private chat may be used for one-on-one or small group discussion. It is accessible from the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen of the virtual conference.
Private chats are an opportunity for attendees to:
- Connect with anyone one-on-one
- Have a small group discussion by adding people to the chat
Public group chats are accessible throughout the virtual platform. in the T.J. Eichler Theater, Poster Hall, ASTRO Resource Center, Network Lounge and Exhibit Hall. They can be utilized to communicate with all attendees in that room at once.
T.J. Eichler Theater
For content that is scheduled as Live or Simulive, attendees will have the ability to chat directly with faculty and other attendees attending the same session. A Q&A panel in each session also allows questions to be targeted for faculty to answer.
Attendees can view narrated posters through several different channels, including: the Poster Hall on the virtual platform, the Conference Planner, MyASTROApp and through the virtual poster library on the website. While in the Poster Hall, attendees can contact any poster presenter by finding them in the attendee list. Scheduled Poster Q&A sessions are also available by track.
ASTRO Resource Center
Attendees can leverage the “Chat with Me” icon to reach out directly to ASTRO Staff for any help or questions they may have.
Both public and private chats are available for use by attendees to interact with fellow attendees within the Networking Lounges. Public chat will be both open and moderated chats. Key topics will be scheduled in advance to encourage dialogue. Additionally, faculty from select sessions will be available for moderated discussions.
Attendees can connect with exhibitors through the booth public chat as well as in one-on-one or group private chat. The chat is a useful tool to communicate with exhibitors and learn more about their products and services.