ABMS Patient Safety Foundations Module
The Patient Safety Foundations Module is now available at the discounted member price of $50. This is your chance to review patient safety information customized for the entire radiation oncology team and earn 2.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Purchase the module.
The American Board of Medical Specialties and their vendor, HealthStream, have paired with ASTRO to develop a patient safety module customized for the radiation oncology community. The curriculum for this module will encompass four broad categories:
Epidemiology of Safety and Harm
- Identify the issues that have created a national focus on patient safety.
- List the most common types and causes of adverse events.
- Define a system for classifying errors by severity and frequency.
The Systems Approach to Improving Patient Safety
- Define a system.
- Identify an example of a workaround and its effect on the system.
- Identify the multiple layers of the health care system that influence the ability to improve care.
- Distinguish between error mitigation and recovery.
- Recognize the role that communication plays in achieving patient safety.
- Identify three types of barriers that may affect patient-practitioner communication.
- Apply the recommended steps for disclosure of an adverse event to a patient.
- Identify a strategy for improving the transfer of information from practitioner to practitioner.
- Identify the elements of a safety culture (beliefs, attitudes and values about work, risk and safety).
- Identify the value of learning in creating and sustaining patient safety.
- Recognize the relationship between reporting and learning.
Any member of the radiation oncology team who completes this module will receive 2.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™, Physicians whose state requires CME for re-licensure can count the CME credits associated with the ABMS Patient Safety Foundations module toward this requirement.