Education Council Chair
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, 1990.
- BA, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, (Magna Cum Laude), 1986.
- Resident, Radiation Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Radiation Oncology Branch, Bethesda, Maryland, 1992-1995.
- Fellow, Diagnostic Radiology, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, 1991-1992.
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, 1990-1991.
- Chair, Radiation Oncology, Henry Ford Cancer Institute (HFCI), Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, 2004-present.
- Clinical Professor, Radiation Oncology, Wayne State University, Detroit, 2005-present.
- Herndon Endowed Chair in Oncology Research, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, 2006-present.
- Vice-chair, Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, 2001-2004.
- Director of Clinical Research, Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, 1995-2001.
- Chair, Radiation Oncology, HFCI, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, 2004-present.
- Staff Physician and Vice-chair, Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, 1995-2004.
Service to ASTRO
- Vice-president, Society of Chairs of Academic Radiation Oncology Programs (SCAROP), 2017-present.
- Chair, Annual Meeting Scientific Committee, 2014-2017.
- Chair, Lung Cancer Resource Panel, 2014-2017.
- Secretary, SCAROP, 2016-2017.
- Member, Evidence Based Guideline Committee for lung SBRT, 2016-2017.
- Member, SCAROP, 2005-2015.
- Member, ASTRO/ASCO Thoracic Oncology Steering Committee, 2016-2017.
- Member, ASTRO/ASCO Thoracic Oncology Planning Committee, 2013-2014.
- Member, Health Services Research Committee, 2011-2014.
- Member, Radiation Oncology Institute (ROI) Research Committee, 2011-2014.
- Vice-chair, Annual Meeting Scientific Committee, 2011-2014.
- Chair, Education Committee, 2009-2012.
- Chair, Palliative Lung Cancer Guideline Committee, 2010-2011.
- Chair, International Consensus Committee on Lung Cancer, 2010-2011.
- Member, Planning Committee for Thoracic Oncology Symposium, 2009-2010.
- Member, Annual Meeting Scientific Committee, 2007-2010.
- Chair, Lung Abstracts Section, 2005-2007.
- Reviewer, Lung Abstracts, 2002-2004.
Service to Other Oncology or Radiology Organizations
- NRG Oncology/Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (NRG/RTOG).
- Co-chair, NRG Patient Centered Outcomes Committee, 2014-present.
- Chair, RTOG Quality of Life Committee, 2000-2013.
- Member, Publications Committee, 1999-present.
- Member, Lung Steering Committee, 1996-present.
- American Radium Society (ARS).
- President-Elect, Executive Committee, 2017-present.
- Secretary, Executive Committee, 2016-2017.
- Chair, Scientific Program, 2014-2015.
- American Cancer Society (ACS).
- Member, National Lung Cancer Roundtable, 2017-present.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Chair, Radiation Lung Cancer Blue Panel Committee, 2016-present.
- National Quality Forum (NQF).
- Member, Cancer Committee, 2016-present.
- National Cancer Institute (NCI).
- Member, Radiation-Induced Fibrosis Workshop, 2016.
- Member, Symptom Management Symposium, 2016.
- Member, Head and Neck Steering Committee, 2011-2014.
- Member, Health Related Quality of Life Intergroup, 2001-2010.
- American College of Radiology (ACR).
- Chair, Radiation Oncology Appropriateness Criteria (AC) Committee, 2012-2015.
- Chair, AC Committee for Lung Cancer, 2008-2011.
- Quality Research in Radiation Oncology (QRRO)/Patterns of Care.
- Chair, Lung Committee, 1998-2013.
- American Board of Radiology (ABR).
- Chair, Written Board Exam Section for Lung and Bone Cancers, 2007-2011.
- Examiner, Exam for Lung Cancer, 2006.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- Member, Planning Committee, 2002-2004.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN).
- Member, CNS and GI Staging Committees, 1998-2004.
- Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO).
- Editorial Board Member, 1999-2001.
After graduating from Harvard University and Washington University School of Medicine, I completed my radiation oncology residency at the National Cancer Institute. Over the next decade, I was faculty and Vice-chair at Fox Chase Cancer Center. Since then, I have been Chair of Radiation Oncology at the Henry Ford Cancer Institute. I feel fortunate that, over my career, I have had many exciting opportunities to collaborate with so many wonderful colleagues to further enhance education and research in our field. Much of my effort has directly tied into my service to ASTRO in many different roles over the past two decades, including being Chair of ASTRO’s Education Committee and ASTRO’s Annual Meeting Scientific Committee. I am honored to be an ASTRO Fellow since 2012 and to soon become President of ASTRO’s Society of Chairs of Academic Radiation Oncology Programs (SCAROP). I serve as Co-chair of the NCI NRG Patient Centered Outcomes Research Committee to incorporate patient reported outcomes (PROs) into clinical trials. I have also served in various leadership roles to support initiatives at the NCI, ABR, ACR, ACS, ARS, ASCO, NCCN, NQF, NRG/RTOG, QRRO/Patterns of Care and VA. My projects and >300 papers and chapters have spanned many different areas, such as treatment guidelines, QA, lung cancer, stereotactic radiation, prostate cancer, gene therapy and PROs. No matter what the topic, it is clear that high-quality education and close collaboration are essential to reaching the goal.